Tuesday, October 5, 2010

i can do without.

My life here in Hungary is free from things that I once thought I needed. This includes a car, a phone, and a television. Now don’t get me wrong, I appreciate each of these things and am thankful for them, but I have been without them for at least 2 months (if not more..a car and a television) and am finding that I am okay with this. I am also finding that back home in the States I was very dependent on these things. and I am really finding that I don’t necessarily need these things here in Hungary.
I relied on a car to get me to places. Now I walk.
I relied on a phone to get ahold of people and contact them. Now I talk. and plan ahead.
I relied on a television for entertainment. Now I go to concerts and get together with students.
It is interesting what living overseas will do for you when you don’t have the things you have had so readily available to you. And that you thought you absolutely needed.
Because I am finding that I enjoy walking to get anywhere. and that I am becoming more reliant on face-to-face communication. and that I can find my entertainment in other ways. So Praise the Lord for these small opportunities to be thankful for what I once had, but also thankful for what I am at the moment, and for what I will be even more thankful for in the future.

3 comments:

  1. love it!
    Its so awesome you get such an opportunity to grow!
    Love you erin!
    *Rachel V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need more posts!

    Says the girl going through Erin withdrawals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily: I'm glad we're on the same page!

    Erin: I clicked on your blog hoping you had updated...but you HAVENT! I miss you and I love reading about your life on here!

    ReplyDelete