Sunday, September 19, 2010

waiting

the waiting game.

there are sometimes when waiting is fun. but right now I cannot think of them. because there are those other times when waiting is downright slow and long.

I was waiting at the train station for my dear friend Annie to get into town for the weekend. And as I sat there, then stood there, and even paced a little bit I waited. with so much anticipation. I could hardly contain myself. I was thinking of all the things I had to catch her up on, all the funny stories from the past week, all the interesting things from teaching. And of course I wanted to hear about her week. I was thinking of what the weekend would bring. and where Peggy and I would show here in Sarospatak. The fun little noise that signals when trains come went off. Which made me even more alert that Annie's train was all the more closer. I walked a little closer to the tracks. I was feeling so many things at this point. Excitement. Readiness. Anticipation.

And then it hit me.

What if I waited like this for Christ's return? What if I waited for my Lord and Savior with as much anticipation as I did for my friend's visit for the weekend. Having Annie here for the weekend was so much fun, but it ended after two days. But the joy and celebration Christ's arrival will bring so much more than a weekend of fun - at for eternity. wow.

So this is my challenge for myself. And maybe you can claim it as your own as well. That I would live my life. my day to day life. FOR HIM. as in waiting for His anticipated arrival. I believe that if I start to do this my life will slowly begin to change and look differently than I have ever lived before. So this waiting, this time, it is good. because between now and when Christ comes again it is not that of a long and slow waiting period, but a waiting period filled with hope and excitement.

2 comments:

  1. It always amazes me when people can find the eternal meaning behind the mundane. With a 30 more of these you could write a Devotional booklet!

    ReplyDelete