Wednesday, September 8, 2010

walking

two posts in one day...don't get used to this. :) it is only because i wrote "change" last night and since we still have to go to the cafe for internet i am now getting a chance to post. so without further adieu, enjoy.

Since I live in a small town here in Hungary I have to walk everywhere. But I don’t see it as a burden. I see it more as a privilege, a special thing. Something I get to do. And I truly am thankful for it. I think walking gives you a different perspective on things. On the town. On the people. On life. I have traveled and studied abroad before and the times and places I have felt so much closer to the country, the culture, and the people have been when I have had to walk. And so I am thankful. I am thankful that I get to walk everywhere here in Sarospatak. I am thankful I don’t have a car and that I cannot drive this entire year (as strange as it is). Because I am finding that this way of more simply living is better. It is better on so many levels. It allows me a chance to look around and explore to places I never would. It allows me to see people along the way. It allows me to smell our neighbor’s roses and enjoy their garden. It allows me to see things I would never have had the chance to otherwise. It allows me to enjoy the day more. But most importantly, it allows me time to think and pray. And for that, especially, I am so grateful.
When I think about how much walking I have done since I’ve been here I can’t help but think about Jesus and his disciples and how they walked. They walked everywhere. And they didn’t even have a choice. And I love to think how this was a part of their ministry. Such a simple thing and God used it. Now that, that encourages me. I don’t know if God will be able to use me walking this year as ministry, but I certainly hope and pray that he will be able to use me, even if it’s through something small like walking, to bring glory to His name.

This is my prayer. Could you make it yours too?

God, you have opened my eyes to see the world around me here in Sarospatak, Hungary in a new way when I walk, and I am so grateful for this. I pray that you will continue to do this, but not just with me. for whoever is reading this. Lord, you work in incredible ways. And so I pray that you open our eyes to the ways in which we can bring You glory today, tomorrow, this week – even in the smallest ways.

2 comments:

  1. Walking does certainly give you a much closer and personal way of looking at things around you! With my 3 knee surgeries this last year I have been really missing being able to walk very far! And then having no car this summer kept me pretty much in the house all summer...... it gives you a whole new perspective on having the ability to walk, and those around you who can't walk, ever! I am thankful that lately walking has become a little easier, and will also remember your walking in my prayers for you. May it give you wonderful opportunities to serve God!

    So how is the teaching going? Now do you have kids, or adults to teach? I can't remember. Hope you are well.

    Hugs - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good perspective on walking. In our busy lives in the states we miss so much that God has all around us. It really takes a concentrated effort to focus on what is all around us both spiritually and physically. I believe God will bring people across your pathway as you walk that you can minister to!
    God Bless you as you venture out each day.
    Michael Genua

    ReplyDelete