Monday, September 6, 2010

you're the God of this town

I was listening to “God of this City” by Chris Tomlin this morning as I was getting ready for church I thought about how I haven’t really looked at Sarospatak in this way God wants me to. I have looked at these people no more than I would any other person, which I don’t think should be the case. And it took listening, I mean, really listening to this song to realize something so sound and so true. It was through this song that I realized God wants me to look at these people like he does. He loves these people. The people of Patak are HIS. His heart breaks for these people. He wants to be their hope. He wants to be known. He is here. And my prayer is that if I can be just a small part of what God longs for for these people then so be it. I pray that I can be who He wants me to be here. And I pray that even though I miss home. I will BE here. Wholly and devotedly here.
I know God has called me to be here this year for a reason. So I need to stop “wishing” it was next week or next month already because it does me no good to wish away the moments I have here. Because as soon as I know it it will be June 2011 and I will wonder where the time went. And I will miss it as soon as I am back in the States. (I know myself well enough that this will happen. : ) So this is my confession. I have not “lived the moment” since being here. I have not said “thank you God”, and if I have I haven’t meant it whole heartedly. I have not truly tried to get to know Patak, because I think I am afraid of what that will do to me. So this is my prayer. I pray that I may not look ahead to what will happen in the future, and if I do that I will be quickly reminded that what is happening “here and now” is more important. I pray that I may be more sincere in my thankfulness. And I pray that I may continually be more open to what God wants to teach me- through this town and its’ people. And I pray that God will break my heart for this town. Because I believe that’s where it all begins.

and so I leave you with this...

You’re the God of this City.
You’re the King of this people.
You’re the Lord of this nation.
You are.

You are the light in this darkness.
You are the hope to the hopeless.
You are the peace to the restless.
You are.

There is no one like our God.

For greater things have yet to come.
Greater things are still to be done in this city.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is hard to "live in the moment". May God teach you joy and peace, contentment as you think about today and not just next month or next year. I'm in SJ this weekend & miss you! Sarah loves how E. says "peanut butter" and Abby has 18 silly bands! luv ya! Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Erin, You are a very good writer!!! May God bless you richly this year! (I saw Aunt Jan on Sunday!!!)

    Hugs - Diane

    ReplyDelete